One man went above and beyond the call of duty. One man made a sacrifice that redeemed the failures of others – even though his efforts ended in failure. Perhaps, even because they ended in failure they attained a nobility that is rarely matched on this world.
Ward Brewer answered the call. He nominated me for a Shorty Award 42 times. Which is 42 times more than the next highest nominators. And infinitely more than anyone else. I want to preserve in some small way the character of the effort he made. Look on, ye mighty, and despair:
Why should @veilwar get the Shorty?
- Because he has a unique and compelling style. He makes it believable.
- Because his latest work, The Veil Wars is a great read.
- Because Stephen gets it done when it comes to writing…
- Because he asked me to and he’s a nice guy…
- Because if he doesn’t get it, someone else less deserving will.
- Because it’s the writer’s version of Green Technology.
- Because someone has to do it…
- Because the only thing for certain is death, taxes, and Veil War.
- Because anyone can be an author, but not anyone can write Veil War…
- Because Stephen made me do it…
- Because of all the writers out there, Stephen is definitely one…
- Because the last 3,000 times I’ve posted, you didn’t count them…
- Because Stephen finally offered me enough money to do it…
- Because for some odd reason, you guys aren’t counting my votes…
- Because my life is boring and I have nothing else better to do now.
- Because Stephen is the only person I actually know who is literate
- Because Stephen speaks and writes American.
- Because Stephen’s from Ohio so he needs all the help he can get
- Because I don’t have a date tonight and need something to do.
- Because Stephen gave me this cool used shirt to wear.
- Because if I do, he promised to pay off my gambling debts
- Because it’s all fun and games until someone’s eye is poked out
- Because it’s what Socrates would have done
- Because the voices inside my head tell me to…
- Because, you see there once was this girl from Nantucket…
- Because besides Doritos, it’s Wilbur’s favorite thing in the world
- Because eventually you ding-a-lings will start counting my votes
- Because this shameless voting will get me a Veil starring role
- Because I just can’t stop myself….I can’t stop…..
- Because if he gets this award, he’ll be able find the cure for acne
- Because if he gets this award he will find the cure for ringworm
- Because if I don’t the continuum will find out and that’s bad
- Because YOU STILL ARE NOT COUNTING MY VOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Because Stephen’s my hero and I want to be his friend.
- Because no matter where you go, that’s where you are…
- Because he’s JRR Tolkien approved….
- Because when it’s all said and done…what was I saying?
- Because the “girl from Nantucket” has a sister…
- Because I am shameless in my actions….
- Because, well, someone has to win the award, right?
- Because I forgot to get him a Christmas present.
- Because, well he may not look like much, but he’s all we’ve got…
I really love how the tone gets more and more desperate toward the end.
Thanks Ward, and I think you earned your place in the book.